Transport For London Cycle Hire Scheme
TFL Cycle Hire Scheme
Installation of foundations and ducting arrangements for cycle hire docking stations. Work carried out at sites across London and in total, more than 2000 stations were installed in 118 locations.
Delivering Groundworks for over 2000 ‘Boris Bikes’ across London
Work involved coordinating up to 20 sites per month. We provided our own full traffic management solution for over 50 live sites at any one time across 7 London boroughs including, Westminster, City of London, Hammersmith and Fulham. Excavation teams prepared trenches and managed carry-away of spoil; ‘form work’ teams prepared shuttering to hang steel bases for docking stations. Mackin poured concrete and completed reinstatement works, including pavements for footways. A strategic sequence of works was devised and implemented by Mackin to ensure maximum efficiency against a challenging programme.
- Tight deadline that required between 70-80 sites to ‘go live’ by October 2013.
- Logistical planning for the day ahead required intense use of resource with 12 or more ‘gangs’ working up to 30 sites per (month).
- Setting up and managing sites on busy highways.
- Managing site safety and preventing public access – at any one time up to 40 open sites were being worked
- Delivering pristine sites for ’go live’ day - which involved a launch event and PR with the Mayor of London.
Highly successful project. Client complimented Mackin on delivering this logistically challenging project on time.