Sir Frederick Osborne School
Education Sector Development
Mackin was contracted to deliver the groundwork services including drainage, foundations and hard landscaping. The work was carried out on a 13,000m site which was an existing playing field
Education sector groundwork construction project
- 4,000 tonnes of material was excavated from the site.
- A 27,000 litre rainwater harvesting tank was installed.
- Half a kilometre of below ground drainage was installed.
- A 600m concrete slab (with 52 tonnes of steel reinforcement) was poured.
- To improve drainage, Mackin to install a permeable paving solution for the car park and playground areas.
- Maintaining site safety at all times.
- The rainwater harvesting tank was installed after the building was constructed. The challenge was to avoid undermining the foundations. A temporary ground support solution was developed which involved using a ‘vibrational drive before you dig’ technique.
- Working adjacent to a ‘live’ school meant delivery times were restricted during ‘school run’ hours.
The project was delivered on time and Mackin continues to work with Ashe on similar projects.