Groundworks were carried out to allow piling work to commence on new apartment blocks at Redrow’s £1billion residential development in Colindale, North London.
Enabling Works Pave Way for New Homes at Colindale Gardens
The work involved bulk excavation and the removal and import of large quantities of material to form a piling mat for 4 new apartment blocks. Bulk earthworks involved digging and carting 5,500m3 of excavated material to stockpile (for reuse at other locations on site). 15,000 tonnes of stone were imported, levelled and compacted to form a piling mat. Other work included:
- Attending on piling contractors by supplying machinery, dumper operators and carting muck away from piling.
- Removal of disused service tunnel. This involved 4-metre-deep excavation across a 65-metre length which was back- filled with 2,500 tonne of stone.
- Quantity of stone imported required over 90 lorry loads per day to be planned and coordinated.
- Keeping ahead of piling activity to ensure the project was kept on programme.
- Ensuring the deep excavation dig was kept safe during removal of the service tunnel.
Works completed to client satisfaction. Mackin was subsequently awarded the tender for the Marketing Suite groundworks.